Business Development Associate
Second Order Effects (SOE) is an engineering consultancy that turns uncertainty into fully functional hardware and software. We work on projects at various stages of development and scope; we perform analysis, build prototypes, and take products to market. Our clients come to us with napkin sketches, fully fleshed ideas, and patent portfolios to productize. Our cross-disciplinary team solves critical problems across numerous industries, including automotive, aviation, consumer electronics, industrial automation, medical, green energy, and space. Our designs control rocket engines, manage satellite communications, generate safety-overrides for self-driving cars, and are enjoyed by consumers around the world. Founded in 2016, Second Order Effects has 90+ employees (and counting!) in offices in El Segundo, California and Redmond, Washington.
SOE Seattle is Second Order Effects' first expansion office. Established in January 2022, SOE Seattle's goals are to build an office with skills in mixed signal electrical design, signal processing firmware, and sensor systems. As an early member of the team, you will be pivotal in the success of this office and future expansions.
The Business Development team is responsible for company growth through expansion of services revenue and data-driven strategic development of new business opportunities. We provide new opportunities for the SOE team, increase the value we capture from our work, and identify new ways to support our clients as well as strengthen interfaces across the business to other groups, such as Engineering, Programs, and Operations.
As a Business Development Associate, you will help identify and grow business relationships across all of SOE's engineering services. In this role, you will be the bridge between clients and SOE's engineering team as you work to expand our customer base and help the team achieve continued growth. Through this role, you will be exposed to a large variety of new technologies, industries, and business models. You will be responsible for identifying new opportunities, representing SOE at a number of industry / networking events, and driving success with clients.
Ideally, you are passionate about a variety of technology sectors, especially those that SOE operates in, and are excited to help clients solve meaningful problems. You are excited about constantly learning new technical concepts and translating market insights into growth strategy.
What You Will Do:
- Identify business opportunities that drive SOE sales / revenue targets
- Build tailored engagements for our clients with support from engineering
- Assist with company expansion into new markets
- Develop and maintain relationships with SOE's customers
- Represent SOE at networking events, industry conferences, trade shows, and all customer interactions
- Support SOE's corporate business strategies and have a voice in the company's operations, marketing, and communication
What You Will Need:
- Bachelor's Degree (Engineering, Physics, Business, Economics, Finance, or related field)
- A curiosity for technology and engineering systems
- Exceptional people and communication skills (both verbal and written)
- High level of organization and attention to detail
- High level of empathy and patience with others
- Excellent presentations skills with advanced PowerPoint and Excel software expertise (e.g., statistical modeling, graphing, deck building, etc.)
What Would Be Useful:
- Exposure to technical expertise in aerospace, healthcare, automotive, consumer electronics, industrial automation, robotics, or clean energy
- Ability to scope an engineering project, draft requirements in a SOW (Statement of Work), and interface with customers
- Experience in a team-based design and build project
- Familiarity with CRM tools and sales tracking software (e.g., Copper, Confluence, JIRA, Mavenlink, etc.)
- Applicant must be willing to work 40 hours a week on-site in Redmond, Washington, USA
- Applicant must be eligible to work on ITAR projects
- Job Type: Full-time (Salary)
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
- Competitive compensation + equity incentive plan
- 100% employer-paid health insurance (Medical, Dental, Vision) for employees + 50% dependent coverage
- Flexible paid time off policy + 11 paid holidays + 12 paid sick days
- 401(k) retirement account and employer matching (Safe Harbor 4%)
- Hybrid working arrangements
- Paid parental leave
- Relocation assistance available if 50+ miles away from the office
- Daily catered lunches, snacks, and accessible kitchen
- & more!
If you don’t meet 100% of the preferred skills and experience, we encourage you to still apply!
Second Order Effects is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SOE is governed on the basis of excellence and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.