Product Development, San Diego - Intern
The R&D Intern will assist in the research and development of novel approaches to biomarker detection, investigation into under-characterized sources of biological variability, or the evaluation of new nucleic acid detection technologies within the Product Development group. The position is intended to be a full-time opportunity for an engineering or science undergraduate to obtain hands-on laboratory experience in an industry leading research group while contributing to the overall company goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with execution of basic laboratory experiments.
- Actively participate in laboratory maintenance and hygiene.
- Assist with processing of research specimens.
- Execute or assist in the execution DNA extraction workflows from research specimens.
- Execute or assist in amplification of nucleic acids.
- Assist with or independently execute construction and characterization of DNA or RNA libraries.
- Assist with or independently execute nucleic acid yield, quality, and size assessment workflows.
- Excellent communication skills, teamwork, etc.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Ability to work seated for approximately 50% of a typical working day. Ability to work standing for approximately 50% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 90% of a typical working day.
- Ability to grasp with both hands; pinch with thumb and forefinger; turn with hand/arm; reach above shoulder height.
- Ability to comply with any applicable personal protective equipment requirements.
- Enrollment towards Bachelor’s degree in field of Life Sciences
- Preference will be given to candidates with a record of outstanding academic achievement
- Basic computer skills to include Internet navigation, Email usage, and word processing.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office to include Excel macros and pivot tables and Word mail merge.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Experience using common laboratory equipment including: micropipettes, centrifuges, and heat blocks or thermal cyclers.
- Prior research and lab work in molecular biology or biochemistry
- Previous experience with PCR, nucleic acid purification, quantification, and/or characterization.
- Basic understanding of principles behind nucleic acid amplification, detection, and sequencing
- Basic knowledge of human physiology and cancer biology.
$36,000.00 - $58,000.00
The annual base salary shown is for this position located in US - CA - San Diego on a full-time basis.
If you require a reasonable accommodation with the application process, please email email@example.com.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
To view the Right to Work, E-Verify Employer, and Pay Transparency notices and Federal, Federal Contractor, and State employment law posters, refer to this link. These documents summarize important details of the law and provide key points that you have a right to know.